Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 2005

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Ten days after his diagnosis with diabetes, my son no longer required insulin to maintain normal blood sugars. Is this his honeymoon? Are there any new treatments for this? (31 Aug 2005)

2. I have been taking Clomid for a year and still have not conceived. I've had type 1 for over 10 years. How difficult is it for someone like me to conceive? (30 Aug 2005)

3. My father has type 2 and has just been put on insulin. Will he be able to continue to be a truck driver? He's not sure if he will pass his physical because of the insulin. (30 Aug 2005)

4. What type of bread do you recommend for someone with type 1 diabetes who eats a lot of sandwiches? (28 Aug 2005)

5. My two hour reading after my GTT was 177 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L]. Do I have insulin resistance? Is it reversible if I lose weight? (28 Aug 2005)

6. My doctor has suggested I increase my Lantus dose. For now, I adjust it based on my blood sugar. Is it a problem to adjust Lantus dosages on a day-to-day basis? Does it make it less effective if you do not take a consistent dose over time? (28 Aug 2005)

7. After unsuccessfully taking medications for increased urination, my daughter was diagnosed with type 1. How come the doctor did not do blood work to check for diabetes? (27 Aug 2005)

8. A year ago, I lost 25 pounds so the doctor tested me for type 1. All results were negative. I changed my diet and exercised. My A1c was 10.1, but has been in the 5s since then. My blood sugars are usually under 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. What do I have? (26 Aug 2005)

9. I am a nurse, have type 1 myself, and have a patient taking Lantus, Humalog and NPH. I've never heard of this combination. Could this be correct? (26 Aug 2005)

10. Does anyone have recent experience visiting Disney or Universal in Orlando with a diabetic child? Do they provide special passes to avoid long lines? (26 Aug 2005)

11. How do I find out how much diabetes care my son's private Baptist school must do? I do not know if the school receives Federal funding. (26 Aug 2005)

12. My daughter has been having pounding headaches and low blood sugars. What should I do? (25 Aug 2005)

13. My son is using a form of untethered pumping. Can I inject his daily dose of Lantus into his infusion set rather than sticking him? (24 Aug 2005)

14. I was diagnosed with type 2 in August 2001. Since then, I have monitored my blood sugars, but taken no medication. Lately, I have seen some higher blood sugars. Why is this? Is my condition worsening? (23 Aug 2005)

15. I'm trying to normalize my blood sugars through diet and exercise. Why is my blood sugar higher in the morning? Why does it continue to rise? (23 Aug 2005)

16. I heard about a cure for type 1 in England. Does it really exist? What type of pump is best for a seven year old? (23 Aug 2005)

17. I am a resident in India. I had a patient with hyperglycemia and bony anomalies. Why did he not have ketonuria? Does this sound like Mauriac syndrome? (23 Aug 2005)

18. My daughter's pump malfunctioned last night so we gave her NovoLog until a new pump arrived. What other insulin options are there? If we need long-acting insulin, do we need a prescription for it? (23 Aug 2005)

19. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in July 2005 and put on insulin, in addition to the Glucophage she was already taking. Is this an early diagnosis? Should she be on insulin? Would any other disease cause high blood sugars? (22 Aug 2005)

20. I was diagnosed with diabetes in January 2004. I took one pill a day and got my A1c down by May and stopped the pills. Is this my honeymoon? How long will it last? Should I take insulin, as my doctor has recommended? (22 Aug 2005)

21. If I try over-the-counter diet pills, such as TrimSpa, how will my diabetes be affected? (22 Aug 2005)

22. I have a student who has had type 1 for about a year. She is always complaining about feeling poorly and says she wasn't well educated about diabetes. How can I help her? (22 Aug 2005)

23. My five year old has some of the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. Tested at home, her fasting blood sugars have been around 100 mg.dl [5.6 mmol/L]. Are her blood sugars considered high? (22 Aug 2005)

24. Are schools required to keep someone on the school grounds who can administer insulin? (19 Aug 2005)

25. My 30 month old niece takes NPH twice a day and has erratic eating habits. How we can even out the glycemic control? (19 Aug 2005)

26. A month before his diagnosis with diabetes, my son had a low creatinine level and a high BUN/creatinine level. Should I have the tests run again? Is there anything else we need to do? (19 Aug 2005)

27. My daughter has been having joint swelling and pain in the ankle and knee. Could the swelling be related to her diabetes? (18 Aug 2005)

28. My doctor and parents are trying to get me to pay more attention to my diabetes and I feel I am trying. But, I feel my parents are nagging and I have been thinking about suicide. What should I do? (18 Aug 2005)

29. My daughter was diagnosed with MODY last August. Her A1c has gone up. Is she better off taking Glucophage or insulin? I am concerned that Glucophage has primarily been given to adults. (17 Aug 2005)

30. My niece recently started a new insulin regimen to prevent constant highs. So far, it isn't working. What insulins are there? How do we know what insulins she should use? (17 Aug 2005)

31. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week and am controlling my blood sugars through diet. Will I be able to control them this way throughout my pregnancy? (17 Aug 2005)

32. What is your opinion of the effort to find a cure for type 1 that the Iacocca Foundation is funding? Is this for the newly diagnosed or long-term sufferers? (17 Aug 2005)

33. Based on my blood work, can you tell what type of diabetes I might have? I was diagnosed with type 2, but I'm not overweight and oral medications do not help that much. Do I need to be on insulin? (17 Aug 2005)

34. Since I will soon cease to qualify for Texas Medicaid, where can I find affordable insurance to pay for my son's diabetes supplies? (16 Aug 2005)

35. My four year old has occasional high blood sugars that return to normal two hours after meals. Should we do an OGTT on her? Should we find a pediatric endocrinologist? (16 Aug 2005)

36. My grandson is often waking with high blood sugars. The doctor says he doesn't know why. What should we do? (16 Aug 2005)

37. I have always had periods where I feel light headed and needed food to feel better. My doctor feels I have hypoglycemia based on my GTT. I am not convinced he is right. What else should I do? (16 Aug 2005)

38. Since my daughter has diabetes due to a total pancreatectomy, is she less likely to develop celiac disease? (15 Aug 2005)

39. Can I still have type 1 if I have only sporadic symptoms, such as increased urination? Do people with type 1 usually have other symptoms? (15 Aug 2005)

40. I have no insurance coverage and I have type 1. My blood sugar is very high and I have a hospital bill I cannot pay. What can I do? (15 Aug 2005)

41. Since switching to Lantus and NovoLog, my daughter's blood sugars are higher, especially after meals. Does she need Lantus in the morning, too? (15 Aug 2005)

42. Is neuritis reversible? Is diabetic neuropathy reversible? (15 Aug 2005)

43. At her June appointment, the endocrinologist was concerned about my daughter's weight. She now exercises and watches her diet, but is not losing weight. What else should we do? (15 Aug 2005)

44. What matters more, the overall level of blood sugars or spikes in blood sugar? I have type 2 and see spikes after weight lifting and overnight. (15 Aug 2005)

45. My husband and his daughter both have type 1. Does this mean our younger daughter has a greater risk of having it? Should she have annual blood work as a precaution? (15 Aug 2005)

46. After a 33 pound weight loss, I am still losing weight. Does this mean my insulin resistance is declining? How can I get this measured? (12 Aug 2005)

47. My son has been getting NPH and Humalog. Now that his blood sugars are slightly higher, we want to use other insulins. Which can be mixed together? (11 Aug 2005)

48. I thought you needed to be GAD positive to be diagnosed with type 1. My GAD was not positive. Will I develop a positive GAD in time? (11 Aug 2005)

49. I believe my grandson is showing signs of diabetes, as he is overweight, drinks and urinates a lot, and eats poorly. What should his blood sugar be? What do you recommend? (11 Aug 2005)

50. Can an A1c test be used to determine if one has diabetes or is the glucose tolerance test best used for this determination? (11 Aug 2005)

51. My wife had a low blood sugar when we were at the pediatrician's office with our infant. Will lows have any reflection on her as a mother? How do lows affect insurance/driving permits? (11 Aug 2005)

52. My daughter is currently more active, therefore needing less insulin. Her blood sugars are in range. Does this increase her chance of going into DKA? (11 Aug 2005)

53. Our pediatrician has suggested we get our daughter an insulin pump, but the endocrinologist disagrees. I know her A1c has gone up, probably because I overfeed her and not cover the food with enough insulin. What do you recommend? (10 Aug 2005)

54. My son has type 1, asthma and von Willebrand's disease. His amino acids are now off. His liver AST is elevated. Is this connected to his injections for diabetes? (9 Aug 2005)

55. Can the usage of niacinamide help suppress of destruction of the beta cells in a newly diagnosed patient? (8 Aug 2005)

56. How dangerous is it to have a one hour post meal blood sugar around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]? What are the ideal blood sugars at other times? (8 Aug 2005)

57. Is there a difference between usual type 1 or type 2 A1c levels at the time of diagnosis of diabetes? Should I pursue GAD 65 or C-Peptide testing to see what type diabetes I have? (8 Aug 2005)

58. I was diagnosed with early diabetes, put on an 1800 calorie diet and metformin. I didn't take the metformin because I was nursing. Why is my blood sugar varying? Why can't I lose much weight? (8 Aug 2005)

59. I found out two years ago that I have nesidioblastosis, which causes me to feel tired and ill. I am overweight. How can I lose weight? Can you give me any advise on how to improve my condition? (8 Aug 2005)

60. When checking for diabetes, my son recently had his blood sugar tested at 125 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] and an A1c of 6.3. He is thin and eats well. What should I do? Do I need to change his diet? (7 Aug 2005)

61. Since I am having higher blood sugars, over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], several times a day, is my honeymoon over? I was diagnosed two months ago. Do I need to change my dose of NPH? Do non-diabetics ever have low blood sugars? (7 Aug 2005)

62. Is there any research on insulin pumps happening in Canada using non-diabetic patients? (7 Aug 2005)

63. I recently read about Insulate Plus for Diabetes. Is this safe for a 12 year old to take? (6 Aug 2005)

64. My youngest son has diabetes, but no other family member does. Why did it skip my other children? (6 Aug 2005)

65. My daughter took Lantus Sunday evening, had several lows the next morning and took no other insulin for three days, yet remained in range. Could she have a tumor in her pancreas producing insulin? Could she still be in her honeymoon? (3 Aug 2005)

66. For my daughter, an open vial of Lantus loses its effectiveness after 15 to 25 days. Have you had patients with this issue? (3 Aug 2005)

67. Due to severe atrophy at her pump site areas, so the doctor has switched my daughter from NovoLog to Humalog. Is she allergic to her insulin? Are her periodic migraines and hives related to this? (3 Aug 2005)

68. I have type 1, use a pump, and have just returned to the workplace. I had to go home once to take an injection when I was high. I carry a meter, glucose tablets and crackers. Should I also carry insulin and syringes? What about pump supplies? (3 Aug 2005)

69. Is it true that blood ketone testing is better than urine ketone testing? When should one check for ketones? How are they to be treated? (3 Aug 2005)

70. My son has been wetting his bed. Although his blood sugar was normal at the doctor's office, the doctor wants to do an A1c. Will that tell if my son has diabetes? (3 Aug 2005)

71. My 14 year old, who does not have diabetes, recently had a slightly elevated blood sugar an hour after eating. Is there some way of determining if she is developing diabetes? (3 Aug 2005)

72. What risk does a patient have when combining pills (glyburide) and Insulin (Humulin 70/30) shots? (3 Aug 2005)

73. I have frequent low blood sugars. How many a month are "normal?" (3 Aug 2005)

74. My fiance, a farmer, is very active during the summer. He is having lows 24 to 36 hours after extra activity. What should he do? He takes Lantus, twice a day, and Humalog, and tries to eat extra food when more active. (3 Aug 2005)

75. My daughter, who has type 1, may get aid for college by indicating she is disabled. Is this appropriate? Where can I find information on the ADA's definition of disabled? (2 Aug 2005)

76. We have switched to a different insulin pump company and have the old pump that we'd like to donate to someone. Is there an organization to which we can give the pump? (2 Aug 2005)

77. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and told to diet and exercise. I was wondering if I could have type 1.5. Should I have an anti-GAD antibody test? (2 Aug 2005)

78. I am newly diagnosed with type 1. What would happen if I were to miss a mealtime or a bedtime shot? If I were to lose health insurance, could I go at least a month without insulin? (2 Aug 2005)

79. Do you know of any residential type settings for teens with diabetes who also suffer from emotional/behavioral problems? Can other faciities deny treatment for someone solely because they have diabetes? (2 Aug 2005)

80. Is there a law that states that children with diabetes may keep their meters, glucagon and supplies in the classroom and that they may test in the classroom? (2 Aug 2005)

81. My son is says his vision is blurry. His eye exam was fine, as are his A1cs and blood sugars. What could be causing this? (2 Aug 2005)

82. Initially diagnosed with pre-diabetes, my daughter had one elevated reading daily and was re-diagnosed with type 1 and started on insulin. Is she type 1? Is insulin the correct course of action? (2 Aug 2005)

83. Given her weight of 42 kg and amount of insulin taken per day, about 46 units, I am concerned my daughter has insulin resistance. How can I confirm and minimize this? I would like to be able to reduce the amount of insulin she is taking. (1 Aug 2005)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts