Question:

From California, USA:

Is there a law that states that children with diabetes may keep their meters, glucagon and supplies in the classroom and that they may test in the classroom? My daughter's school won't let her. I am very upset and worried about my daughter going into a coma and the staff would not make it in time to treat her since they have to retrieve her supplies from another room behind a locked door.

Answer:

There is a law in California (AB 942) that permits certain students to self-monitor in classroom or other areas of school campus. Also, federal law, Section 504 in particular, provides protection. For more information or assistance, please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare