Question:

From Leesburg, Virginia, USA:

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. From what I have read, I understand that my pancreas is probably still producing insulin and I am in a honeymoon stage. If I were to miss a mealtime shot of insulin, four units of Humalog, what would happen? If I were to miss the bedtime shot, 12 units of Lantus, what would happen? If I were to lose health insurance, could I go at least a month without insulin?

Answer:

The best way to insure having the longest possible honeymoon phase is to keep the glucose levels well treated with timely insulin injections, if required. It is not a good idea to consider doing without the insulin. This is dangerous and could result in you becoming very sick or worse.

Posted to Insulin and Honeymoon