Question:

From Brazil:

I have lots of hypoglycemic reactions. Sometimes I need help from other people and even glucagon shots. I know it sounds crazy, but how many severe low blood sugars a month could be "normal" for an insulin dependent diabetic with good control (A1c of 6.1)?

Answer:

Severe reactions requiring the help or another person are not to be tolerated. You need to cut this to zero. Frequent lows like that lead to an inability to sense lows and make it more likely you will end up having a seizure or a low during an inappropriate time that will dangerous for you (while driving, climbing a ladder, operating machinery). It has been shown that intensive avoidance of lows allow for some of your symptoms of lows to return.