From Hollywood, Florida, USA:

What risk does a patient have when combining pills (glyburide) and Insulin (Humulin 70/30) shots?

The usual way that a person on pills and insulin gets to that point is by the sequential addition of insulin to a maximum dose of a pill. This would suggest that the pill did not do the job by itself, in terms of treating the glucose levels to the appropriate target. Both agents you mention can cause low blood sugars, so close monitoring is important. They can both induce weight gain. I like to know how much more glucose lowering I need when I get to the maximum dose of a drug. If A1c levels are more than 2% points above normal, you may need insulin over another pill because insulin tends to be more potent. Sometimes, you can stop the oral agent and stay on only insulin.

Posted to Insulin and Pills for Diabetes