Question:

From Cicero, Illinois, USA:

My youngest son was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 11 months. Neither me nor his dad have diabetes. I also have two older children that are 10 and 11 who do not have diabetes. No grandparents or any other relative has diabetes. How is it that it skipped my other children and my baby ended up with diabetes? Was it something in my system or his dad's? They all have the same father.

Answer:

We do not fully understand why one or another child gets diabetes. We know that there is some part of genetics and some part of environmental factors that intermix to produce this autoimmune disorder. You should discuss this question with your diabetes team since they may be able to give you more specific information pertinent to your family history and details.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity