Question:

From Vancouver, Canada:

I have two children. My seven year old son has had diabetes for seven months and has just gotten an insulin pump. My 14 year old daughter, who is non-diabetic, wants to help with research on insulin pumps as well. Is there any research on insulin pumps happening in Canada using non-diabetic patients?

Answer:

It's great that your daughter wants to help with insulin pump research, but there is not much need for people without diabetes to try insulin pumps. However, there are lots of other ways that she might help. For instance, get her involved with science projects in school about diabetes. Or, have her get involved with fundraising such as working with the Canadian Diabetes Association or with the Canadian branch of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. She can contact their headquarters and ask how she might volunteer, talk with the local chapters in your area, etc. She can also get classmates to help and perhaps even get her school to adopt diabetes as their project.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Research: Other Research