Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I have had low blood sugars since I was born. About two years ago, I finally got tired of being sick everyday and went to a specialist. They did tests on me and told me I have nesidioblastosis. I am 21 now. I do not take any medication. The doctors are stunned to see me doing as well as I am. My blood sugar usually stays in the 35 to 45 mg/dl [1.9 to 2.5 mmol/L] range. I am not passing out. I just feel sick and tired all the time. I am overweight at 266 pounds. It's very hard to live with this condition and be severely overweight. I can't go on a diet. I exercise, but right afterwards I still feel tired and weak. How can I lose weight with this condition? Are there any pills to take that can help me loose weight and not affect my blood sugar even more? Can you give me any advise on how to improve my condition?

Answer:

Most patients treated with this condition have some of the pancreas removed to decrease the excess insulin secretion. This is a problem that will continue to be an issue until you have it definitively addressed. Please follow-up with your endocrinologist regarding the best form of treatment. I do not think there are any easy answers here. The good news is that if you have the excess insulin secretion treated, you can significantly improve your weight and quality of life.

Posted to Nesidioblastosis