From Ohio, USA:

I was just recently diagnosed with early diabetes. I suspected it after the birth of my fourth son, when I had gestational diabetes. I believe I was diabetic with my third son where it never was caught in the testing. He weighed 10 pounds, 9 ounces. Plus, I had many of the symptoms of diabetes and my mother is a diabetic.

I was told to start this 1800 calorie diet and take metformin, which I didn't take because I was still nursing my baby. I started the carbohydrate watching diabetic diet that I was taught when I was pregnant. My Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) results were: fasting--118 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L]; one hour--196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] with 100 urine; and two hours--72 mg/dl [4 mmol/L] with 100 urine. I have only lost three pounds and the doctor says I wouldn't lose any if I were having trouble controlling my diet. But, it seems to me that my blood sugar varies significantly day to day. Is there a special diabetic situation that affects your body like this? It is making me crazy, all of the symptoms and my weight gain.

The OGTT results do not meet the criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes. Do you have additional laboratory data that makes the diagnosis? This is all about healthy lifestyle. If you have the diagnosis, metformin and diet plus exercise as a part of a healthy lifestyle are very reasonable. Are you monitoring your blood sugars? You should be able to see how the changes in diet and activity affect your sugars. These should be discussed with your physician. Blood sugars vary naturally, depending on diet, activity, and any intercurrent illness. When you are glucose intolerant or have diabetes, there is even more variability. Please confirm your diagnosis with your physician. I would suggest meeting with the dietician who can help you understand the affect of diet on your sugars. Even a three pound loss over a short time is good. In most situations, weight is not rapidly gained and not rapidly lost.

Posted to Type 2 and Weight and Weight Loss