Question:

From Sunnyside, Washington, USA:

How bad/dangerous is it to have a blood glucose level of 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L] or even 205 mg/dl [11.4 mmol/L] one hour after a meal? I know they want you under 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] at two hours, but what level should one try to maintain at other times? I am diet/exercise controlled with type 2 diabetes and have had a few levels like I wrote above, but, within the two hour period, my blood sugars went down within normal levels.

Answer:

In order to reduce your risk of complications, your goals should be:

• A1c: less than 6.5%
  • Pre-meal checks: less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]
  • Two hours after the start of the meal: less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]
  • In addition, the peak rise after a meal should not exceed 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L]

If you are getting readings higher than 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L], write down exactly what you ate and how much and see if there is a pattern. Also, see if it happens on a particular day of the week or meal or in relation to any physical activity (for example, only on days that you do not exercise).

JS

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Type 2