From El Paso, Texas, USA:

Our son was diagnosed at age three with type 1, then, within six months became a severe asthmatic, and came down with autoimmune von Willebrand's disease. Now, some of his amino acids are off, while his organics are fine. But, his liver AST is elevated. He does not have any viral hepatitis. I am wondering why are all things going wrong with him? He is about to be eight years old this year. I worry a lot about his future. Is there any connection with his injections he takes for the diabetes that would cause the AST to rise?

I have a metabolic disorder. We are moving to the Houston area because the top doctor that specializes in urea cycle disorders is there. Our son's ammonia levels are within normal ranges, but I am concerned about all the other things happening in his little body. Do you ever hear about this many things happening to a child with type 1? I lost a son at age eight months to a lot of different defects, including a urea cycle disorder. I am so scared that we are going to lose the only son we have left. Do you have any advice?

I would encourage you to ask these questions to your specialist since this specialist would know the details of your son's medical history and also your family history. There is no known association of type 1 diabetes and asthma or von Willebrand's disease of which I am aware. Also, nothing about the treatment of type 1 diabetes or having type 1 diabetes that would cause major amino acid or liver abnormalities with reasonable blood glucose control.