Question:

From Montcalm, West Virginia, USA:

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes since she was three. She takes 16 units of Lantus at bedtime and a sliding scale of Humalog. She has a friend visiting from out of state and her activity level has increased. Therefore, her numbers are really good, 143 to 196 mg/dl [7.9 to 10.9 mmol/L]. Are her chances of DKA increased because I know she isn't getting her usual amount of insulin? When her sugar is 155 mg/dl [8.6 mmol/L], she will only get six units. She gets four shots of Humalog for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack.

Answer:

No, her chances of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) are not increased with lower insulin requirements. Her insulin requirements are her required amount of insulin. This means that with a balance of caloric intake, physical activity, and insulin, she is clearly keeping her glucose levels in check. If she becomes less active once again, you would expect this three-pronged balance to be disrupted, thus leading to the need also to decrease caloric intake or increase the insulin to keep things in balance. Typically, I wouldn't force food restriction (but would push for good food choices), as this could lead to an eating disorder. So increasing the insulin would likely then be required.

But, I think a real important take home message to you and other readers is that: IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH INCREASED ACTIVITY TO IMPACT DIABETES CONTROL, so, do not overlook the importance of physical activity. I have many parents who were absolutely stunned when their child required so much less insulin while at diabetes camp, for example!

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin