Question:

From Keansburg, New Jersey, USA:

I am 22 years old with type 1 diabetes. I have a hospital bill total of $6,200. I have no medication or health care coverage. My blood sugar is 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L].I am not working right now. I need help because I am very weak.

Answer:

Go to your town or county social services agency and apply for Medicaid. You can locate the information concerning Medicaid on the web at State of New Jersey web site or by looking in the blue pages of your telephone book. If you qualify for Medicaid, you will have access to no-cost or low-cost medical services. You should also discuss with them your recent hospital bill to see if you can obtain retroactive or emergency Medicaid benefits.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs and Hyperglycemia and DKA