Question:

From Brentwood, California, USA:

My grandson is taking NovoLog during the day and Lantus before bedtime. We are very careful counting carbohydrates and determining his insulin doses. We are testing his blood sugar at 2 a.m., too. When he wakes up, his blood sugars are often very high, about 300 to 400 mg/dl [16.7 to 22.2 mmol/L]. The doctor just says, "I don't know why." What should we do?

Answer:

Please send in seven days of blood sugars, carbohydrates and insulin dosing to your physician. Make sure that he is familiar with diabetes in children and with making insulin adjustments. If he is not, it likely is time to find a physician that is more familiar with treating children with diabetes.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care