Question:

From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for about three years and this is the first time I'm trying to lose weight since being diagnosed. I was interested in taking over-the-counter diet pills, such as TrimSpa, for that extra help in reaching my goal. How will they affect my disease?

Answer:

Products like the one you have inquired about are all over the consumer map. It is interesting to note that when you go to the web site, there is a prominent reference to the new FDA pyramid. The message I try to share is that over-the-counter supplements have very little chance of success unless you are making good lifestyle choices, which includes the food you eat and the activities you maintain. The only thing mentioned in the advertisement is glucosamine as an active ingredient. I'm sure that is not everything, but that is what is mentioned. That supplement has been around for a while without marked benefits. I do not use this product. I do not endorse this product and my recommendation is that you can lose weight without it. It is probably quite expensive, too.

Posted to Other and Type 2