From Joliet, Illinois, USA:

My son attends a private Baptist school. I do not know if it receives Federal funding. They have no nurse. I train the teachers every year. I attend the first week of school with my son and repeat myself over and over to them. Thanks goodness my son is so "diabetes smart" that I can trust him to take care of himself! How do I find out how much diabetes care the school is responsible for with respect to my son? I provide everything. I even buy the teachers books so they learn how to take care of him! I am hoping they can do more. I need to know if they are obligated to do more.

Public schools and private schools that receive federal funding may be required to provide services and aids under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act. Religious affiliated schools do not fall under these federal laws unless federal funding is received. However, there are a number of resources available, such as the NIH's NDEP school guide, that will be of benefit in helping school personnel to understand the importance of appropriate diabetes care and how it benefits both the student and school personnel. Please visit the ADA's web site or call 1-800-DIABETES to learn more.

Posted to School and Daycare