Question:

From Fernley, Nevada, USA:

I am 22 years old and I have had type 1 diabetes since age 9. I have been taking Clomid for about a year and I still have not conceived. My sugars had been out of control, but now they are not. I was wondering how difficult it would be for someone with my condition, age and situation to get pregnant?

Answer:

Women with diabetes can get pregnant. There can be other factors that may reduce the chances of conceiving. An example is thyroid malfunction (either hypo or hyper) which affects ovulation. Hypothyroidism is often associated with diabetes and is an easy diagnosis to make. If you have been seriously trying to conceive for a year without success, then I suggest you consult with an infertility specialist for a thorough evaluation. In the meantime, make sure your blood sugars are under good control. Guidelines are: fasting 60 to 90 mg/dl [3.3 to 5.0 mmol/L], pre-meal 80 to 100 mg/dl [4.4 to 5.6 mmol/L] and one hour post-meal less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. If you happen to get pregnant, you are at lower risk for fetal complications with good glucose control. Also, make sure you are up to date on your eye and kidney evaluations. This can also have implications on a pregnancy.

Posted to Pregnancy and Other