Question:

From Mequon, Wisconsin, USA:

My daughter is entering the fifth grade and has had diabetes for three years. She can do all her care. I do not want her to have to go to the office to test herself or take shots anymore. She does not need the staff to oversee her. Do you think it is reasonable for me to request that she no long needs office supervision? What is the best course of action to achieve that goal for her?

Answer:

I can understand your desire to promote your daughter's independence. And, you may be able to negotiate this with the school officials and school nurse. However, schools generally put such requirements in place to protect other students as well as your child. They may continue to want medically-related activities to take place in a central area.

BS

[Editor's comment: Be sure to read the American Diabetes Association's web page on rights in schools. BH]

Posted to School and Daycare