From Arkansas, USA:

I have read several Questions and Answers about the connection between diabetes and Accutane. I was prescribed Accutane at the age of 20, right before I got married. I was on it for six to eight months, I believe. Anyway, about one and a half years later, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Almost one year to the date later, after being hospitalized for ketoacidosis, I was re-diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. There is no history of diabetes on either side on my family. After reading the updated side effects list, I think that there is more than meets the eye. Has there been any research done on this?

I am not aware that Accutane causes type 1 diabetes.

[Editor's comment: According to the Roche web site, there has been no "causal relationship" between Accutane and diabetes. BH]

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Other