Question:

From Lincoln, Nebraska, USA:

I was just recently told I have adult onset diabetes. I want to know if it is safe to drink vodka. I thought it didn't raise blood sugar. Is there any other alcohol that would be better?

Answer:

Consuming alcohol can be tricky business with diabetes. I would recommend that you consult your physician and your health care team regarding specific liquors you have in mind. A majority of medications for diabetes are contraindicated for people who consume alcohol because of the side effects (possible hypoglycemia, etc).

JMS