From Nepal:

I am a 45 year old male, 5 feet, 8 inches, 98 kg (216 pounds). I had a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) with the following results: fasting blood sugar--127 mg/dl [7.1 mmol/L]; 30 minutes--209 mg/dl [11.6 mmol/L]; one hour--236 mg/dl [13.1 mmol/L]; 90 minutes--203 mg/dl [11.3 mmol/L] (insulin level 99); and two hours--177 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L].

After dieting, I was retested. My fasting blood sugar was 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] and my two hour post-prandial reading was 116 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L]. One doctor has said I have insulin resistant oriented obesity, not diabetes. Another doctor described it as pre-diabetes because I am asymptomatic. Do I have mild diabetes or insulin resistance?

The American Diabetes Association classifies a person as having diabetes if the fasting glucose is greater than 127 mg/dl [7.1 mmol/L] on two occasions. The laboratory tests should be run in a clinical laboratory and not with fingerstick glucose meters. Your fasting glucose of 127 mg/dl [7.1 mmol/L] exceeds the limit. The diagnosis should be confirmed with another fasting glucose. At the least, you have pre-diabetes. Your two-hour post-glucose load was abnormal, too. I would recommend, as your next step toward proper diagnosis, the determination of another fasting glucose to see if the glucose levels stay up or not.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2