From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA:

My 16 year old son, who was diagnosed with type 1 three and a half years ago, complains of having trouble sleeping and then sleeping excessively. Looking at other teens, I don't think this is just an age problem. What do you think could be going on?

Sleep concerns can be the result of any number of issues. First, is his blood glucose either too high or too low? What are his usual sleep patterns? Does he have trouble getting to sleep or trouble staying asleep? How much stress is school, friends or family causing? Is he drinking caffeinated drinks before bed? Is he sleepy during the day? Is lack of sleep causing problems for him at school?

I would suggest a check up with his doctor to rule out any physical reasons for his sleep concerns. If needed, there are sleep disorder clinics that could further evaluate your son's sleep patterns.