Question:

From Lamar, Missouri, USA:

My seven year old son recently had an A1c reading of 5.9. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes while pregnant with him and still have the condition. I was told that he could be predisposed to juvenile diabetes. Is this true? Should I be concerned with his reading?

Answer:

Having gestational diabetes will increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life. It typically does not influence a child's risk of developing type 1 diabetes. A typical hemoglobin A1c can range from 4.5 to 5.5 in someone who does not have diabetes. I would review the result with your pediatrician.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms