From Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA:

I am well aware of the damage that diabetes can do to the diabetics' vessels resulting in kidney damage, heart and sight damage. But, at what age can this damage start to occur? I was told that they don't worry about this happening until puberty or after the onset of puberty, but I really am concerned and would like another opinion on this.

The damage from hyperglycemia happens immediately but it takes many years to become evident. The notion that the years prior to puberty "do not count" for diabetes related complications is an old concept that has been debunked by studies in Australia, Germany, Italy and Belgium for more than 10 years. (See Complications of pediatric and adolescent type 1 diabetes mellitus (Curr Diab Rep. 2001 Aug;1(1):47-55)