Question:

From Mountain View, California, USA:

My daughter eats a large amounts of carbohydrates, including breads, sugars, etc. She said that her understanding from her doctor is that as long as her numbers are in the correct range, she can eat all the sugar she wants without having any adverse affects. She just has to take enough insulin to balance her blood sugar. In addition, she is about 40 pounds overweight. I am concerned about her long-term health with this eating regimen. What is your opinion?

Answer:

She is 40 pounds overweight, so she should limit her carbohydrates and calories so that she can lose weight. Being overweight increases her risk of many illnesses including heart disease. Diabetes also increases her risk for heart disease, so being overweight is even more serious.

JS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Weight and Weight Loss