Question:

From Portsmouth, Rhode Island, USA:

My 10 year old son, who has had diabetes for four years, just had his annual routine blood work done. The transglutaminase antibody came back at 7. It was 4 last year. Is this something with which we should be concerned? Will that number continue to rise, making celiac disease imminent? Or, is this such a slight variation that there is no cause for alarm?

Answer:

You need to look at the normal levels for the laboratory that ran the test. His result is likely normal, as it would be done by my laboratory. Most likely, it is just a variation. My experience is that celiac is pretty clear and pretty high before the biopsy is positive. There is no need to worry at this time.

Posted to Celiac