From Cairo, Egypt, USA:

I'd like to ask you some questions:

1. Does the urine of diabetics taste sweet when it is high? In ancient times, is it really how they detected the disease?
  2. Does exposure to cold weather increase urine output? Why?
  3. Do the symptoms of diabetes always occur together? Is excessive urination always accompanied by thirst and loss of weight?
  4. Can someone with undiagnosed diabetes gain about 4 kg (9 pounds)?
  5. Do the symptoms of diabetes occur intermittently or it is continuous throughout the day? Do these symptoms become worse upon eating or are they not related to eating?
  6. Is urinating five to seven times a day excessive for a 21 year old female who weighs 77 kg (169 pounds) and is 116 cm (5 feet, 4 inches) tall?
  7. Does the fear of having diabetes and awareness of my bladder filling cause me to pass large amounts of urine?

1. Yes
  2. Not necessarily.
  3. These are the usual symptoms. They occur with variable presentations. Some more severe. Some not at all.
  4. You can gain weight with diabetes. Sometimes, the increased hunger makes up for the calories lost in the urine.
  5. The symptoms can be intermittent and are worsened with large meals or intermittent stressful situations.
  6. If this represents an upturn in the frequency you urinate, then it could be a concern. If your intake of fluids is always high, the amount of urination may be appropriate.
  7. No, I hope this doesn't mean you are struggling with this. It is best to have the testing done with your physician and address the medical issues that need to be addressed. You will be better in the long run and can get over the guessing and anxiety it causes.