From Ogden, Utah, USA:

My grandson is three years old. He has been in the 95th percentile for height and weight during each doctor's visit and his mother has never been told there is a problem. During his last doctor's visit, the doctor indicated his concern over my grandson's weight and called for blood tests. He has now been diagnosed with pre-metabolic diabetes. I have been trying to research this, but can only find information as it relates to adults. Is there another name for this that I can research? I'd like to become educated on the subject and need help. So far, the suggestion from the doctor is for my daughter to meet with a dietician and for my grandson to exercise 30 minutes each day. This leads me to believe pre-metabolic diabetes is not actually diabetes. Is that correct?

Your son likely has been diagnosed with "pre-diabetes," which is a condition that indicates he is at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Frequently, children, adolescents and adults can be diagnosed with this condition based on body habitus and some simple testing. It is important in this condition, even in children, to focus on healthy habits such as a healthy diet, daily exercise, and weight loss when that is indicated. Your pediatrician will be able to direct you to resources to help you learn about this condition.