From Ocean City, Maryland, USA:

Upon my visit yesterday to Johns Hopkins Hospital, I discussed with our doctor the theoretical link to cancer with insulin analogs and explained that was my reason for not switching to the Lantus/NovoLog regimen. I have read several studies that discuss a link. She suggested I write to you and ask for more information as I was her only patient that was concerned about this.

In the last few years, very few studies have been published about insulin analogs and their carcinogenic effect. To my knowledge, none of the studies have been about the insulin analogs, both short or long acting ones, currently used in the clinical management of diabetes. On the contrary, many studies have been published about the beneficial effects of the use of the same analogs (most of all about glargine) used in the therapy of kids, teens, and adults, with type 1 diabetes. In my practice, I have many kids using glargine associated both with short acting analogs or rapid insulin and they are in good metabolic control.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Other Illnesses