Question:

From Thibodaux, Louisiana, USA:

My brother is a diabetic and he told our family that the doctor said that if he eliminated some carbohydrates from his meals, he could eat sweets. But, I know because I have a diabetic daughter that that comes with moderation or a once in a while treat. He is eating sweets all the time, bringing home chocolate cakes and sweet rolls loaded with icing, ice cream and cookies. He also has a heart condition and he smokes, which is terrible for him. What will all of these bad habits do for him in the long run?

Answer:

A 15 to 22 gram serving of a sweet can be exchanged for a 15 to 22 gram serving of potato or bread or whatever BUT the sweet probably has no nutritive value. That means it should be limited in portion size and how often you eat it. Smoking and diabetes greatly increases your risk of heart disease. I see that your brother gets his medical care from a primary care doctor. Why don't you suggest he see a diabetes educator who can spend some time helping him learn how to make better choices? You can find a diabetes educator near you at the American Association of Diabetes Educators web site.

JS