Question:

From Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA:

I recently visited MiniMed's web site, and have noticed that the Guardian RT Continuous Glucose Monitoring System was supposed to have recently come out. It mentions limited release in certain cities, but does not give names of which cities in which it is being released at this time. Do you know of anyone using this system? What have the results been so far?

Answer:

I personally do not know anyone who is using the Guardian RT, but I do not live in a city where the product is currently available.

With that said, the potential for continuous glucose monitoring to improve diabetes care is significant. With alarms alerting before going low or running high, continuous glucose sensing can help people to remain in their target range more often and -- even more critically -- help reduce the risk of severe low blood sugar, which remains the most significant impediment to intensive therapy.

Many companies are working on continuous glucose sensors and I expect several more to be available in the coming years.

JSH

Posted to Research: Monitoring