From Elmont, New York, USA:

I am 57 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for about six years now. I have been taking Glucophage (500mg twice a day) for the last three years. My hemoglobin A1c went from 8.5 to 10.1 in the last three months and my postprandial levels have been more that 260 mg/dl [14.4 mmol/L]. I am worried about this and I would like to know your opinion. What reading materials can you provide me with so I can read up on medications and the plan of care for my case?

There are a variety of sources for reviewing treatment of diabetes. The American Diabetes Association publishes a number of books on the treatment of diabetes. They can be reached by phone at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383). They also have their publications on line at their web site.

It sounds like the metformin has to be increased and that still may not be enough. Unfortunately, type 2 diabetes has this plot line that changes over time, making it more difficult to treat blood sugars.

Posted to Type 2 and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c