Question:

From Teaneck, New Jersey, USA:

My question is about the use of DDAVP for bed wetting. My seven year old son, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at three years old and had been fully potty trained at two and a half, started bed wetting approximately four months prior to being diagnosed. Our pediatrician suggested we try DDAVP for his bed wetting, which has gotten worse in the last two months since he start Lantus insulin. His nighttime blood glucose checks are usually on target at 12 midnight and 3 a.m. I asked his endocrinologist, but she asked what his pediatrician recommended and never really gave and answer. At any rate, what is your take or experience in regard to the use of DDAVP to control bed wetting in children with type 1 diabetes in basically good control (blood glucose on target approximately 75% of the time)?

Answer:

The use of DDAVP on a chronic basis is not typically recommended. DDAVP is a good choice for intermittent use in children that have primary enuresis (they have never had a six month period of consistent dry nights). Your pediatrician will be your best source of information in determining if DDAVP is a good choice for your son. I would suggest reviewing this with your pediatrician. The bed wetting is likely not related to changing to Lantus, especially if your son has reasonable blood sugar control.