From Pathankot, Punjab, India:

My friend wants to gain weight. At age 25, he is 5 feet, 8 inches, 56 kg (123 pounds). He would like to gain 10 to 12 kg [22 to 26 pounds). What should he do?

If your friend has had problems gaining weight, one of the first questions is whether their blood sugars are under good control. If not, all the food in the world will not be utilized by his body. Very often, inability to gain weight is a sign the blood sugars need to be treated more aggressively. If sugars are under good control, and weight gain is still desired, it is important to consider how the number of calories should be increased in their diet, as a complementary amount of insulin should also be given to match the increase in calories. To prevent the extra weight gain from being mostly fat, it is important to exercise regularly. As I am not able to know whether your friend has good blood sugar control with type 1 diabetes, that question has to be answered first.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss