From Whitewater, Wisconsin, USA:

I am an assistant manager at a community based residential facility for adults with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities. One of my clients has non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. He tests his blood sugar every other morning along with his 8 a.m. medications. His blood sugar level has been anywhere between 118 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L] and 346 mg/dl [19.2 mmol/L]. I am relatively clueless about diabetes and am wondering how I can assist him in lowering his blood sugar. I'm in charge of preparing the menu at the facility as well and don't really know what kind of meals are best for him. Can you please refer me to a web site with inexpensive meal ideas for a diabetic? Also, could you please help me to better understand what I can do for him in assisting with his diabetes?

People with diabetes need to follow a meal plan that is moderate with regards to carbohydrate content. It is important that your client get established with a health care team (ideally one that includes a registered dietitian) that can assist with developing a nutritious meal plan that will provide adequate calories and help obtain optimal blood sugar control. In the meantime, I would recommend reducing sweets and foods that have a lot of added sugars and get carbohydrates from more complex carbohydrate sources, whole grain breads, pastas, rice; fresh fruits, vegetables, low fat milk, etc. The U. S. Department of Agriculture's web site is a good place to find interactive meal planning ideas. It will give you some recipe and menu ideas you can work into the residential facilities' menus.