Question:

From Fairport, New York, USA:

I'm a 61 year old type 2 diabetic since age 42. I take 62 units of Lantus each evening and use a NovoLog Flexpen as prescribed by my PCP (primary care physician) on a sliding scale (i.e., 150 to 200 mg/dl [8.3 to 11.1 mmol/L is five units, etc.). I lost my left kidney due to recurrent infections in 1998 after bladder cancer surgery in 1995 and now have 50% function in my remaining right kidney. My weight went from 175 pounds in 1998 to my current weight of 228 today. I am under the care of a nephrologist at the University of Rochester.

My PCP said it's okay for me to exercise so I joined our community center which has swimming, workout machines and free weights. At my age, can I safely lose this weight so I'll feel better, be less tired and hopefully control my diabetes better? My morning readings are anywhere from 80 to 170 mg/dl [4.4 to 9.4 mmol/L]. Sometimes, in the evening they jump to 200 to 230 mg/dl [11.1 to 12.8 mmol/L].

Answer:

You ask a good question and one I am constantly concerned with as we see our patients with type 2 diabetes. Can they exercise safely? I feel it is helpful to have routine cardiac stress testing for patients with type 2 diabetes because of the high rate of silent heart disease. You need to speak with your physician about having this done. If you have a stress test, and it is negative for disease, you and your doctor will both be happy and feel better about you being able to exercise with relative safety.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Exercise and Sports