Question:

From Leesburg, Florida, USA:

I just got diagnosed with diabetes and I'm terrified of needles. Is there a way to treat type 1 diabetes without taking shots?

Answer:

For now, there is no way to administer insulin without injections. A good diabetes educator can teach you how to do shots painlessly. There are devices, such as the Medi-Jector, that you can use that to inject your insulin quickly without needles. Your diabetes educator and diabetes physician can help direct you on how best to use these resources.

[Editor's comment: Recently, the FDA approved the use of inhaled insulin. It was not approved for use by children. BH]