From Hastings, Minnesota, USA:

My 16 year old son has type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. He has been diagnosed with proteinuria and put on enalapril, 5mg. I cannot find out if this drug is gluten free. He took the drug for two days and complained of a mild stomach ache. We are not sure if this is from the drug or if the drug has gluten in it. I have not had very good help from our health care provider as far as the celiac disease, which is why I am asking for additional information.

Enalapril is gluten free. Use of enalapril has been associated (rarely) with eosinophilic gastroenteritis which can cause diarrhea and high levels of eosinophils, a particular form of white blood cells associated with allergic reactions. I would have him retry the enalapril and, if his symptoms recur or worsen, bring up the possibility of eosinophilic gastroenteritis with the gastroenterologist who follows his celiac disease.

Posted to Other Medications and Celiac