From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA:

I was diagnosed with a rare form of hypoglycemia. If I eat any type of sugar, processed or natural, my blood sugar remains low. Therefore, I have been told to eat very few carbohydrates, NO sugars and lots of protein. It has been almost six years and I still do not have a handle on it! I find myself craving carbohydrates, sugars, and protein. So, I'm constantly cranky and tired. Please give me advice as to WHAT my form of hypoglycemia is and HOW to better arrange my diet.

I am not sure what you mean by a rare form of hypoglycemia. The most common form of hypoglycemia is the type associated with low blood sugars after eating, termed reactive hypoglycemia. To some degree, that is what you are describing. Without more information, I am not sure I can be of help. With reactive hypoglycemia, the food generates the surge of insulin secretion that tends to overrun itself and cause lows. One of the usual ways of treating this is to decrease the food types that have the most effect in increasing insulin secretion: that would be foods high in carbohydrates. The usual history for this condition is to get better over time.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Meal Planning, Food and Diet