Question:

From Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada:

I'm a college student taking the Teacher's Assistant Program, and one of my courses is Individuals with Exceptionalities. I have a project to do on diabetes and really just need any and all information regarding this disease.

Also, my father and his mother have diabetes, but I don't know what type though. I would like to know how people get diabetes. What is the best way to live with diabetes? As a paraprofessional in a classroom, how do I work with a child with diabetes? This information would be very helpful to me not only for my project, but there is a chance I will develop diabetes. I would like to know in advance what symptoms I should look out for and what I should do if I am diagnosed with diabetes.

Answer:

Answers to your questions can be found within the pages of this web site. Here are some suggested starting points:

• Diabetes Basics
    Here you'll find links to articles that explain type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, the risks of developing diabetes, and many other basic diabetes information.

• Diabetes at School
    Here you'll find links to many articles about caring for kids with diabetes at school. Of particular note is our page entitled Information for Teachers, which offers a brief summary of diabetes from the perspective of a teacher.

JSH