From Houston, Texas, USA:

My husband is 28 years old and has type 1 diabetes. We have one child, a daughter who is three years old and we are currently trying to conceive to have another baby. I have been told that there is a 50/50 chance for someone with diabetes to have children. Are my odds of conceiving lower because my husband has type 1?

To my knowledge, there is not a decreased chance of having children, just because your husband has diabetes. It is possible to have men evaluated for their ability to make an adequate amount of sperm to fertilize an egg. This can be done as a relatively common procedure as part of a semen analysis. The fact that you were previously successful means he was able to produce adequate sperm in the recent past. If you have not discussed this with your healthcare provider, I would recommend you do so. The first thing they may tell you is how long you should wait before you need to be checked out medically, both you and your husband. You may find out that there are not as many barriers to pregnancy as you might think.

Posted to Family Planning