Question:

From Kandy, Sri Lanka:

1. I'm a 17 year old diabetic patient. I use an insulin pen (Novo Pen 3). So, my problem is I can't control my food very much. How can I control my mind?

2. If someone's kidneys fail as a result of diabetes, can the kidneys be repaired?

3. What is as diabetic team?

Answer:

I wonder if you are asking these things:

1. How do I stay on a meal plan? How do I stay motivated? Trying to watch the type and amount of food you eat can be hard. I think you need three things: 1) good knowledge about which are the right foods and the right amounts to eat; 2) people in your life who will help when it gets hard (like family and friends); and 3) meal plan goals. For example, aim for following your meal plan most of the time (maybe 80% of the time) and permit yourself to make mistakes once in a while.

2. If the kidneys fail, can they be made healthy again? In my experience once the kidneys have reached "end-stage renal disease" and the only treatment is dialysis or transplant, then they can not be made healthy again.

3. A diabetes team is a group of people all focused on caring for diabetes. The team may include a doctor, diabetes educator, dietitian, maybe a psychologist, maybe a social worker, maybe a foot doctor and other health professionals who share ideas for helping the person with diabetes. An effective team includes the person with diabetes as an active and important team member.

BS