Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

My friend in Romania has a one year old son who has been diagnosed with diabetes. She is looking for the best care options for her child. What glucose meter and needle-free insulin injection devices do you recommend? Her son uses Novo Nordisk Mixtard 30/70 insulin.

Answer:

All the meters being produced are quite excellent. In Romania, the problem may be cost and availability and this would be the most important factor to discuss with her diabetology team. There are many excellent pediatric diabetes specialists in Romania and we all meet annually in Buzias for a pediatric diabetes symposium coordinated by Professor Viorel Serban and ISPAD (International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes) members. Professor Harry Dorchy and I have been participating in these symposia for more than ten years.

Similarly, insulin availability is more important than any minor differences with different insulins. All the pens work just as well as syringes and vials work quite nicely.