Question:

From Greenwood, Indiana, USA:

I began taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism several years ago. I have been experiencing symptoms of what I thought was hypoglycemia so my doctor gave me a monitor and told me to take some readings. Having done so, I now suspect the problem is probably impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). My fasting sugar is around 105 to 115 mg/dl [5.8 to 6.4 mmol/L]. Depending on what I eat, my blood sugar goes as high as 195 mg/dl [10.8 mmol/L], but is usually about 160 to 170 mg/dl [8.9 to 9.4 mmol/L] two hours after eating. It drops rapidly after that, sometimes below the fasting level, before it comes back up. The rapid drop is when I feel bad (shaky, headache). I have a long family history of type 2 diabetes, but is there any hope that my thyroid levels could be causing the high readings, or do I just need to face the facts? Also, if it is IGT, what is the best way to slow it's progression to diabetes?

Answer:

I do not think there is a connection between your thyroid status and the symptoms you are describing. The presence of impaired glucose tolerance is a warning of impending diabetes. This has been studied. There are several strategies that have been shown to slow or maybe prevent the onset of diabetes. They range from lifestyle changes with increasing exercise and weight loss, to use of medications. You need to speak to your physician about the intervention that might be best for you.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Thyroid