Question:

From Bath, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have had diabetes for 27 years. My blood sugars have been up and down for a long time. For the past three days, I have had great control with blood sugars 80 to 110 mg/dl [4.4 to 61 mmol/L]. I am not doing anything differently and I was wondering why this could have happened? Can your pancreas start working again?

Answer:

It is too early to tell. It is unlikely that having had type 1 diabetes and destruction of the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, you have begun to make insulin again. Has kidney function changed? Are you adhering to your diet differently? Has your activity changed? Three days is not enough time to notice much of a trend. I recommend discussing these results with your physician, based on previous recommendations for treatment and previous A1c results.