Question:

From Carlisle, Cumbria, England:

I have had type 2 diabetes for a while. Lately, my breath smells like rotten eggs and I am running to the toilet with diarrhea a lot. My doctor says the nerve endings in my bowls have gone and all he can give me are 2 mg loperamide hydrochloride capsules. Still, the other day when I was in town, I messed myself and had to come home really embarrassed.

Answer:

Diabetic diarrhea can be a problem that is difficult to treat, because it does not let you get out and be with the rest of the world. The bad breath may be a different issue as poor dentition can also give you problems with bad breath and can be made worse with diabetes. You need to speak with your physician about what to do with the treatment of the diarrhea. Medications, such as clonidine, have been used with some success. The medication you are using also helps to slow down the bowels.