Question:

From Newmarket, Ontario, Canada:

I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Is it a type of diabetes? Or, can this lead to diabetes? Diabetes runs in my family so I worry that it will become that. Also, why is it that when I research specific diets I can use, I also get sent to the diabetic diet sites?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia implies low blood sugars. Diabetes is associated with high blood sugars. The dietary goals for treating hypoglycemia are to eat small, frequent diets throughout the day so as to prevent lows, whereas the dietary goals of treating diabetes are to maintain weight and induce weight loss where appropriate, lower cholesterol, lower salt intake, and to eat appropriate to the medications you are taking. The catch with the term hypoglycemic diets is that it may be used to infer the diet can actually lower the glucose, making it a treatment for diabetes.

It is true that diabetes runs in families. You need to be checked intermittently for this.