Question:

From Holly, Michigan, USA:

I am 16 and I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed recently so this is very new for me. I was diagnosed on September 10 and spent a week in the hospital with DKA. My school is trying to control my insulin and telling me I have to take it in their office. But, I read somewhere that I could take it in the bathrooms. Can I actually do it in the bathrooms? If so, can you provide a web site for my school to see.

Answer:

It is the position of the American Diabetes Association that those students who have the ability to do so should be able to self-check and self-treat in the classroom or wherever you happen to be on campus. For more information, see the ADA's web page on School Discrimination and call our National Call Center at 1-800-DIABETES.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare