From Holly, Michigan, USA:

I am 16 and I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed recently so this is very new for me. I was diagnosed on September 10 and spent a week in the hospital with DKA. My school is trying to control my insulin and telling me I have to take it in their office. But, I read somewhere that I could take it in the bathrooms. Can I actually do it in the bathrooms? If so, can you provide a web site for my school to see.

It is the position of the American Diabetes Association that those students who have the ability to do so should be able to self-check and self-treat in the classroom or wherever you happen to be on campus. For more information, see the ADA's web page on School Discrimination and call our National Call Center at 1-800-DIABETES.

Posted to School and Daycare