From Alburtis, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 30 years old and have had type 1 for 29 years. I am 28 weeks pregnant. My blood sugars are very well controlled. My blood pressure has been high for about four weeks, I have sciatica, too much amniotic fluid, mild retinopathy, swelling, cramping, lower back pain, and am sleeping about 12 hours a day. I also had spotting in the beginning of my pregnancy.

I have a 10 year old and delivered early (36 weeks) because of preeclampsia. My obstetrician still has me working. I am a waitress and am on my feet for four to eight hours a shift, lifting trays 15 to 30 pounds.

I am worried that they are not concerned with any of this. I am thinking about getting a second opinion,but don't know if I am overreacting because I had a miscarriage last year. Should I get a second opinion?

I would suggest that you reduce your work schedule or take a medical leave if possible. This may help your blood pressure and also give you some relief from your other symptoms. Since you had preeclampsia before, you are at risk of developing it again. Diabetes contributes to this risk even more. Thus, your doctor should be watching you closely for any signs of preeclampsia. I would also suggest close follow-up by a retinal specialist. Excess amniotic fluid is common in diabetes. Sciatica is also common in pregnancy, in general, and unfortunately, there is not much to do to relieve it other than not putting too much strain on your back.

Posted to Pregnancy