Question:

From Barkhamsted, Connecticut, USA:

I am having a problem with my daughter's school district. They are mandating that we drop the 504 plan for my daughter at school. From everything that I have read, this is a bad idea. I want the best possible care for my daughter at school and giving up her rights doesn't seem in her best interest. I have contacted folks at the state level as well as several other resources. No one seems able to help me with this. The meeting with school officials is on November 1 and I am very nervous. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this? As a parent, I have to be my child's best advocate and I am feeling backed into a corner right now!

Answer:

It would be helpful to inquire about the school's reasoning for wanting to drop your child's 504 plan. Have your daughter's grades improved recently and therefore is your school under the incorrect impression that learning must be adversely impacted in order to qualify under Section 504? If so, then you need to work to educate school administrators that in order for a child to qualify under 504, all that need be shown is that her diabetes substantially limits a major life activity, such as eating, walking, caring for herself. Your school may just be confused between 504 and IDEA (a special education law under which some children with diabetes qualify for services if diabetes or another disability or medical condition adversely impacts academic performance and progression).

For more information, see the American Diabetes Association's web page on School Discrimination.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare